Gamma-Iota History: 1950-1969
1953. In 1953, the house on Fraternity Row was built. While there was hope to build a house on the row sooner, it would have to wait because of high inflation, as well as World War II. In 1953 the university increased the house value range to $150,000 and would finance up to 2/3 of the total cost for the house, at 4% bank rate interest. They also had very low monthly payments.
The highly improved financing options offered by the University inspired Lambda Chi Alpha to build as well as Sigma Alpha Epsilon. William Gehron was hired to draw the plans for the new Lambda Chi house. Shortly there after the house was complete and the members soon occupied the house. The house was dedicated to: Alfred J. Johnson ’18, longtime business Manager at Denison; Burt T. Hodges ’20, longtime Treasurer & Secretary Board Trustees; George D. Morgan ’24, longtime Professor of Biology; Harold A. Rosene ’24, Cleveland news paper executive; E. Clark Morrow ’30, Newark lawyer and longtime instructor of Const. Law; Abe Martin (this from Joe McMahon’s letter – the directory of the chapter [1919-1962] gives Ira W 1935, Kenneth J. 1927, Lloyd F. 1925 - all Ohioans)